Capstone Orthopedics Uses a Novel Approach to Post-Surgical Pain Management
At Capstone Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, we strive to provide patients with improved recovery after surgery, and offering the latest, unique advances in pain management helps us achieve that goal.
Capstone Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is one of the first clinics in the region to adopt the novel iovera° technology that uses the body’s natural response to cold to block the signaling portion of a peripheral nerve, temporarily reducing pain during the critical weeks following surgery. 1
The ioverao treatment is a focused cold therapy. Nothing is injected into the treatment area by the ioverao system; therefore, there are no systemic side effects that are typically experienced with NSAIDs, narcotics, or other medications. Mild localized side effects due to the ioverao treatment have been observed.
As part of this novel approach, health care providers at Capstone Orthopedics & Sports Medicine are able to deliver a concentrated, focused cold zone through a portable, handheld device. This minimally invasive treatment is safe and causes no damage to surrounding tissues.2 During the simple outpatient procedure, ioverao safely and effectively allows patients with knee pain to leave their physician’s office experiencing less pain than they had when they walked in.
At Capstone Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, ioverao is being used as a part of an enhanced patient recovery protocol for certain situations.
Remember that you have a say in how your pain is treated before and after total knee arthroplasty (TKA). If you have are considering having TKA surgery, we encourage you to speak with your doctor to learn about how ioverao might be right for you.
To read more about this product and how the procedure works, visit www.iovera.com.
The iovera° system is used to destroy tissue during surgical procedures by applying freezing cold. It can also be used to produce lesions in peripheral nervous tissue by the application of cold to the selected site for the blocking of pain. It is also indicated for the relief of pain and symptoms associated with osteoarthritis of the knee for up to 90 days. The iovera° system is not indicated for treatment of central nervous system tissue. The iovera° system’s “1×90” Smart Tip configuration (indicating one needle which is 90 mm long) can also facilitate target nerve location by conducting electrical nerve stimulation from a separate nerve stimulator.
Important Safety Information
The iovera° system should not be used in people with the following conditions:
- Blood that thickens when patient is exposed to cold (cryoglobulinemia), blood appearing in the urine when patient is exposed to the cold (paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria), skin rash that appears when patient is exposed to the cold (cold urticaria), narrowing of the blood vessels in the hands and feet when patient is exposed to the cold (Raynaud’s disease), and open and/or infected wounds at or near the treatment site
Patients being treated with the iovera° system (a needle-based therapy) may experience certain reactions, including, but not limited to:
- Bruising, swelling, inflammation and/or redness, local pain and/or tenderness, and altered feeling at the site of application
Proper use of the device as described in the User Guide can help reduce or prevent the following reactions:
- In the area(s) where you were treated: damage to the skin from being exposed to cold or heat, darkening or lightening of the skin, and dimples in the skin
- Outside the area(s) where you were treated: muscles may not work or move normally
For more information, visit www.iovera.com.
- Dasa V, Lensing G, Parsons M, Harris J, Volaufova J, Bliss R. Percutaneous freezing of sensory nerves prior to total knee arthroplasty. Knee. 2016;23(3):523-528.
- Hsu M, Stevenson FF. Wallerian degeneration and recovery of motor nerves after multiple focused cold therapies. Muscle Nerve. 2015;51(2):268-275.
©2020 Pacira BioSciences, Inc. Parsippany, NJ 07054
All rights reserved. iovera° is a trademark of Pacira CryoTech, Inc.,
a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacira BioSciences, Inc.
PP-IO-US-0281 7/20 MKT-0266 Rev E
Call now to schedule an appointment
Or contact us online to schedule an appointment